Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

On Reading...

Can I have a little "rah-rah for homeschooling" moment?
As I write this, Isaac is sitting quietly, reading a book. I didn't tell him to. I didn't bribe him. I didn't say he couldn't watch TV. I didn't say he couldn't play his DS. He is just reading, completely of his own volition. And it almost makes me want to cry. And I step back, and in astonishment realize that I helped him achieve that. In my weakness and imperfection, I taught my son to read. There were days I didn't think this would ever happen. A time or two I was downright concerned, and lifted the situation in prayer. I just didn't know if there ever would come a time when he would be able to read more than a few words on a page, let alone an entire book (and enjoy it!). I am so thankful for this that words aren't suitable.
I have always loved to read. I remember evenings snuggling in bed with my mom, each of us with our own book. I want to experience that with my children. I want them to be transported to other times and worlds and let reality slip away around them.
Thank you Heavenly Father, for the gift of reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment